By: Jordan Banks
“But I don’t want to work at a desk the rest of my life.” Those were the words I said to my academic advisor as I sat in her office waiting to sign the papers to officially become a PR major.
The fear of being confined to a desk and, as my grandfather used to say, "selling my soul to corporate America," lingered in my mind. While my grandfather's words may have been hyperbolic, I was worried that once I entered the workforce, I would have to sacrifice my love for travel and exploring new places.
That’s why when I began my job search as I was nearing graduation, I was focused on finding a company that truly aligned with my goals. This included a flexible hybrid or remote work schedule that allowed me to travel while working.
One of the things I enjoy the most about working at Slide Nine is our flexible work-from-anywhere model. I’ve made the most of this policy several times this year and most recently worked from New York City for a week. Here are a few of my takeaways from putting our work-from-anywhere policy to use.
- Change of scenery sparks creativity. I’ve noticed that a change of scenery makes a major difference when it comes to my creativity. Being in a new environment truly changes your perspective, and this has helped me generate new ideas and look at things differently.
- Nurturing connections beyond work. Connecting with friends outside of work is good for the soul. During my time in New York, I got to meet up with friends in the city after work and on the weekends. This time allowed me to fill up my cup when I would normally be stuck in my typical after-work routine.
- Positive impact on mental health. As someone who often struggles with their mental health, I have noticed that working from anywhere improves my mental well-being. This is especially important during the winter months. Having the option to work from a warmer location during the winter helps combat seasonal affective disorders.
It’s also important to remember that you’ll need the right resources to get the most out of your work-from-anywhere policy. Here are a few things I recommend you consider to ensure you’re able to deliver the best work possible for your team and clients.
- Stable internet connection. Having access to stable internet allows you to stay on top of your work while also staying connected to your team members. When looking for a place to work in a new city, make sure your location has a strong internet connection. Or perhaps invest in a mobile hotspot.
- A quiet area to take calls. There’s nothing more difficult than having to scream over a coffee grinder in a café; trust me, I’ve been there. Having a quiet area to take calls helps limit distractions and allows you to stay focused on whoever you’re talking to.
- Ensure company privacy. It’s important to have company and client privacy at the top of your mind while working in a new place. This often means working with my back toward a wall so no one can see my computer screen. If that’s not possible, another option is to use a magnetic privacy screen to protect confidential information from wandering eyes.
One of the many benefits of working at Slide Nine is our work-from-anywhere policy. If you think you’d be interested in joining our team, visit our website or follow us on LinkedIn to find current openings.